Jump to list of software that support WAV & BWF metadata
INFO List ChunkThe original WAV specification which was published in 1991 defined an INFO List Chunk that can store information about the file such as Title, Artist, and Genre.
Broadcast Audio Extension ChunkIn 1997 the European Broadcast Union published the specification of the Broadcast Wave Format (BWF) for the seamless exchange of audio material between different broadcast environments and between equipment based on different computer platforms. BWF is essentially a WAV file with a Broadcast Audio Extension chunk (Bext) that can store metadata.
ID3v2 TagID3v2 tag, which was introduced in 1998 and originally designed for MP3 files, can be written by some software into WAV files. Due to lack of standard, two ways for writing ID3v2 tag into WAV files emerged by different software, which cause a compatibility problem.
XMPThe specification for Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP), which was introduced by Adobe in 2001 and is now commonly used in JPEG images, also defines a way to write it into WAV files.
iXMLiXML is an XML based metadata format designed for BWF files. It is more flexible than the Broadcast Audio Extension chunk and can hold more information. It was introduced in 2004.
Cart ChunkCart Chunk is a metadata format which was designed for WAV files used in the radio industry. It was formally ratified as a standard in 2002 by the Audio Engineering Society (AES).
- Adobe Audition - Supports editing of INFO, Broadcast Audio Extension chunk, and Cart Chunk.
- BSI Info Editor - Supports editing of INFO and Broadcast Audio Extension chunk.
- BWF MetaEdit - Supports editing of INFO and Broadcast Audio Extension chunk.
- BWF-Widget Pro - Supports editing of Broadcast Audio Extension chunk and iXML.
- foobar2000 - Supports editing of ID3v2 tag.
- IDTE-ID3 - Supports editing of INFO.
- MediaMonkey - Supports editing of INFO.
- MetadataTouch - Supports editing of INFO, XMP, ID3v2 tag, Broadcast Audio Extension chunk, iXML, and Cart Chunk. Includes batch mode.
- mp3Tag Pro - Supports editing of ID3v2 tag. Includes batch mode.
- Tag&Rename - Supports editing of INFO and ID3v2 tag. Includes batch mode.
- uTag - Supports editing of Cart Chunk.
- Wave Agent - Supports editing of Broadcast Audio Extension chunk and iXML.
Do you know other software or music player that support WAV & BWF metadata?
Tell us about it at firstname.lastname@example.org
Page created on October 28, 2013. Last updated on July 10, 2014.